One Other Thing... (Destiny)

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Friday, January 06, 2017, 18:05 (2664 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

When I think of Bungie communication from the Halo era, specifically the Halo 2 weekly updates, I always think of <redacted>. I hated that. I was eager for any bit of information and felt like I was being teased, and not in a good way. Now, to be fair, it does sound like I might want to read back through those updates and see if I still feel the same way. (Is there are an archive of those anywhere? :p) It's been more than a decade so maybe I'll feel differently.

For Destiny era Bungie, I feel that they in some ways did us a disservice by barely saying anything about their new game before launch. I made my preorder not understanding the concept of Destinations vs missions. Not understading the process of leveling up and getting loot. Dreading ADS. Not understanding how Supers charged and having barely understanding of how any individual Super worked or what it did. Etc. Etc. Maybe part of what made my perception of all this worse was I had convinced myself that they would finally have to actually reveal their game a lot more since it was a new engine, new universe, new gameplay, etc. So when they didn't, it felt a bit extra bad, I guess.

Getting back to your larger point about Bungie's communication shifting... I would expect you're far more right than wrong. We still do get the occasional more frank communications. Sometimes through ride alongs. Sometimes through podcasts. More recently the dev team posted on the Bungie.net forums saying that no there would not be a weapons balance update with The Dawning but they heard and understood that there were still issues with the god roll shotguns. And a while before that there was a similar post talking about the issues surrounding Hand Cannon inaccuracy.

Is there more or less frank communication? Again, I honestly can't personally say. But we do still get it from time to time from modern Bungie.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread