One Other Thing... (Destiny)

by Kahzgul, Friday, January 06, 2017, 05:05 (2638 days ago) @ Claude Errera

I think there are two views here that can co-exist. Firstly, you're spot on that no one is entitled to know how the sausage is made. I've made quite a few of these sausages and the process is hilariously painful.

And second, Raga is right that if you tell me the sausage is made of pork, there damn well better be some pork in there.

And this is the issue with Destiny. The PR team wasn't just saying "everything is fine, ignore the man behind the curtain." They were saying "This game has X Y and Z. Your weapons will tell the tale of your guardian. Your will become legend. If you see a mountain in the distance, you can go there. Saturn is a thing." So they sold us a "pork" sausage, and what we got was a chicken sausage. It's not the advertised product.

And so I agree with Raga in that, if Bungie had been up front about major changes, or problems, or even top level decisions to just do it differently from how it had been previously advertised, those of us who do feel like we were lied to wouldn't feel that way. And I also agree with you that Bungie didn't need to tell us about the problems in their backend pipeline.

What they could and, I feel, should have done, is told us that some of the advertising we'd seen was no longer accurate. Reasons weren't needed. But honesty was.

Bungie is going to have to earn back my trust, and the livestreams and ads they've been putting out really aren't doing it for me. Fortunately, chats like the link in the OP really, really do make me feel better. They didn't need to tell me what really happened, but the fact that they are is promising.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread