One Other Thing... (Destiny)

by Claude Errera @, Thursday, January 05, 2017, 19:45 (2639 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Games are art. Art is made by humans. Many many people place value in knowing about the artist, and the artists process. Art is expression, so to understand the artist is to better understand the expression. The fact that you find that unusual is kind of puzzling.

Understanding the artist is NOT the same thing as understanding how the artist works (and more, how the artist's work is occasionally difficult and requires hard choices). I'm actually puzzled that you don't realize this.

I love to know the inspiration that drives an artist, and the lifestyle they live that brings them to the final product. I don't want to know that there was a 2-month period last winter that they were so sick with the flu they were on the toilet 8 hours every day, and it kept them from advancing the final product. That's what we're talking about here - the vomiting and diarrhea that occasionally threatens the final product. I want to know they got past it - but I don't want to know the details, and I'm DAMN sure they don't want to DESCRIBE the details, especially before they're finished.

Remember the Revenant? Part of the marketing campaign was about how he movie was impossible to make and almost was a disaster!

Movies do NOT fall into the same category as games when it comes to consumer confidence before the product is released. It might, in fact, be handled in a directly opposite way (if you say "this movie we're releasing next week was so hard to make we almost failed" you'll get more people to see it because they assume that you overcame ridiculous issues and probably made a fantastic movie, but if you say "this game we're releasing next week had serious problems during development and we almost didn't release it" people will become hesitant, and worry that they're wasting their $60 buying it.)

I didn't see the Revenant (or its marketing campaign), but was this campaign released before the movie? (The "we almost didn't make this movie" info you're mentioning?) I guess it wouldn't matter either way, since NOBODY markets the negative parts of a movie before they're actually ready to release the movie (I can't think of a single trailer that shows off the bad stuff that comes out a year or two before the movie does. ALL movie hype released way before the movie is out is positive.)

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread