More evidence. (Recruitment)

by RaichuKFM @, Northeastern Ohio, Tuesday, November 14, 2017, 16:03 (2316 days ago) @ Claude Errera
edited by RaichuKFM, Tuesday, November 14, 2017, 16:07

For the record, from the start my argument has been "They both make sense, so it's unclear and thus a worthless callout". I was going to apologize if that was unclear, but I looked back and saw that was pretty clear. I don't know what Kermit's position is, I suppose, but I don't think anyone is arguing that inside/outside should be used; it's just over whether one use of them is legitimate or not.

As far as Atheon went, I think it's possible for any of the callouts to work? As long as everyone is on the same page. I don't know, I generally found myself in groups using Past and Future, if I remember correctly, and I only played the Vault after The Dark Below came out. Unlike Calus, where Inside/Outside is ambiguous, all of the callouts in Atheon are very clear (although Mars/Venus is wrong) and it's simply a question of whether you want the away team to work out which color is on what side, or the remaining team. Since teams are chosen randomly, it's kind of moot, but it's a thing; if somebody says a description immediately, one of the other three might be able to immediately say the correct side, even if everybody there somehow blanked. I dunno. Or am I misremembering some cue as to the side you're on from within the other location? (Oh, right, there's the radar; and also the possibility people trip up right vs. left, since the two teams are facing in opposite directions. That's the thing, it just matters that a callout gets everyone on the same page; however reasonable a case you can make for a callout, if people in that group trip over it, that doesn't really matter. And even if a callout doesn't make sense, or is wrong, if it gets everyone on the same page, it's doing its job? So there's not going to be any One True Answer, it's a thing that will vary depending on people, even if there's a thing that generally works best.)

But the "any team with common sense" thing, and Korny's being Korny, is the kind of stuff that's putting me off of this conversation. I guess I didn't have common sense at all, just how like taking a while to figure out that it can be a bad thing to hold A on Shores of Time meant I was playing high, or whatever other "Everybody using this forum and working out the systems has generally agreed on this thing, and it's better, so anyone who just went with the simplest route without thinking that hard about it is an idiot" digs that go around occasionally.

Not that it's a big deal, or that I'm trying to say you were being a dick or anything for it, they're just the kind of things that turn me off of a conversation. Because I feel for people that make a stupid mistake despite not being idiots, even when I'm not one of them.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread