Useless argument. WARNING: basic semantic theory inside (Recruitment)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, November 15, 2017, 14:40 (2351 days ago) @ Korny

"Wow this person has an inalienable difference in their entire approach to language and are out of step with English convention" and not "Huh, okay", then I think I've gone past the realm where it's my communication problem.)

Yeah, I won't say that Kermit is coming off as pretentious... but it does seem a bit prejudiced; being a native speaker does not grant you a superior and/or innate understanding of language. Like I pointed out earlier, I'm not a native English speaker, and yet I have notebooks filled with grammatical/syntax errors made by native speakers (I won't name names, but at least I know how to spell "Legacy"). And heck, just the other night, I had to remind a certain native speaker that the proper term was "Claude and I will go" not "Me and Claude will go".
So his presumption about having a better understanding of the English language simply based on the fact that he only speaks English is... fallacious, at best (and you'd think a professional writer would know better).

Once again you mischaracterize me and I do wish you would stop it. Plenty of native English speakers speak terrible English--myself included sometimes. At the same time being a native speaker can give you intuition regarding nuances of usage that a non-native speaker would have to learn. (I don't quite agree with Funkmon's assertion that this sort of thing can't be learned.) I characterized Raichu's non-conventional word choices as characteristic of non-native English speakers. That is all.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread