More evidence. (Recruitment)

by RaichuKFM @, Northeastern Ohio, Tuesday, November 14, 2017, 23:49 (2316 days ago) @ Kermit

I feel like this got sidetracked by conflating my attempt to argue that the usage of inside can be factually true even when there is no physical boundary, with how I use inside. (Which is my fault, really.) And yeah, I don't say inside without a subject, in the Calus fight. That hasn't ever been the argument, no.

I just don't see why "I am inside the Shadow Realm" is somehow less sensible than "I am in the Shadow Realm"; it sounds like it just comes down to "It's a little clunky to say inside when you can just say "in"; which is then turned on its head in the Calus fight, where you're announcing, "I'm inside". If you said "I'm in", it would to me sound like you had just entered a place, whereas inside means you're inside of something. So if you can be said to be inside of an area when you are in that area, even if it's clunky, if you find yourself in a position where it would be clunky to say in, then inside makes sense.

I don't really care about which is common usage and I don't understand how "I'm going for a walk inside the forest" could possibly be confusing?

When does in, when in reference to whether you are in or out of an area, not mean the same thing as inside?

If you think it's clunky, that's fine, but at the start it seemed like you thought it didn't make sense. That you didn't understand how it could.

But you actually get it, you just think it's odd, and suboptimal.

Which is completely different?

I don't know.

As far as I'm concerned, the in/inside distinction is weird, because to me the very act of defining a space is necessarily defining a delineation of the space? You might not know exactly where to draw a line, but by defining some spaces that are in, and some spaces that are out, you have made a boundary, around a shape, and thus, necessarily, an inside, and an outside. So, when you don't have ambiguity about where you're talking about, inside shouldn't ever be ambiguous or unclear, if in wouldn't be?

It might be weird, I just find it odd that it should be considerably weird, and not just a little odd.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread