Useless argument. WARNING: basic semantic theory inside (Recruitment)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Wednesday, November 15, 2017, 15:53 (2315 days ago) @ Robot Chickens
edited by Korny, Wednesday, November 15, 2017, 16:01

Inside means whatever you want it to mean as long as that meaning is clear to the listener.

It is a small miracle anytime some idea goes from one person's head to another person's brain resulting in a shared understanding. I'm pretty forgiving of word choice and grammar if communicating the idea is successful. Korny's example of "me and Claude" does not bother me in the least because more precise language does not result in a more precise transmission of the information.

And the thing is that it doesn't bother me either, because the idea gets across. 90% of the time, I won't say anything when someone makes a mistake, because it's pure pedantry. I'll catch it, yeah (call it an intuition, lol), but I'll only point it out when doing so would be funny to me, and because I know that it annoys the person that it's directed at.
I used that example because it shows that the whole concept of "intuition" with language is false, because someone who should have that so-called intuition clearly doesn't; while someone who doesn't speak English as their first language, and who (in Kermit's mind) has to "learn" it (because it couldn't possibly develop naturally as a result of their learning of the language itself)... does.

But yeah, this thread has been derailed by dumb excuses like that, as well as misunderstandings about context, when at the end of the day, it's all about a simple concept and perception of what an area is, and the refusal of some people to see things in a broader and more logical manner.

In this case, inside, as a forum-wide descriptor, fails because too many people have competing understandings of what it implies.

If folks want to say "Scissors", for example, there is not going to be any confusion about what symbol they mean. If someone says that being taken into Calus's mind space is "inside", then the team can easily accept it as being "inside". Any whining after that is simply a result of stubbornness.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread