Useless argument. WARNING: basic semantic theory inside (Recruitment)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Wednesday, November 15, 2017, 16:51 (2315 days ago) @ Robot Chickens

My bone to pick with Kermit was the suggestion that inside would be indicative of a non-native speaker. There are other logical interpretations that could lead to that usage.

Indeed.

But yeah, this thread has been derailed by dumb excuses like that, as well as misunderstandings about context, when at the end of the day, it's all about a simple concept and perception of what an area is, and the refusal of some people to see things in a broader and more logical manner.

I was with you on this until you said broader and more logical. Systems can have an inherent logic to the users that appears baffling to the outside observer. Inside can be perfectly cromulent to one group and make no sense to another for perfectly valid reasons.

I agree, but I meant logical in the sense that through logic, you can deduce what a person means, even if by definition it is incorrect from your perspective. It's why I said that calling the Cleavers/Axes "Scissors" is perfectly fine, because the people are logically referring to a specific symbol. It's always best to be willing to adapt, and if you accept that "x" will, for the purposes of this specific run, be referred to as "y", then there is zero confusion about what the people mean when they say "y", especially if the other options are "a/b/c".

Stubbornness, however, is a different matter. When approached with other valid interpretations, flexibility or compromise should be valued above all.

+1

That being said, I'm surprised you haven't defended stubbornness as a valid expression under the condition that it elicits the lols. :p

I have standards, man. :P
Defending stubbornness in any manner teeters on defending ignorance and inadaptability, which is a troll's low-hanging fruit.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread