Once again, Skill Up's thoughts are pretty great. (Destiny)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Wednesday, June 06, 2018, 11:36 (2160 days ago) @ Claude Errera
edited by Korny, Wednesday, June 06, 2018, 11:40

until he claimed that Destiny 2's base game was "a shitty launch product"

Contextually, he was calling it that in regards to a perspective shared by many fans, with regards to the DLC itself being used as a "mea culpa". He disagreed with that view himself. It pays to actually pay attention to what's being said. ;)

That said, Destiny 2 at launch was pretty terrible, and Bungie themselves acknowledged it by scrambling to fix their mistakes, as opposed to building on the experience with actual content.
That said, you can like Destiny 2, while also acknowledging that it's been a real mess. Bungie lied to the players repeatedly. They regurgitated "we're listening" at everyone until their throats were dry. It's on record.

His perception of this game is so far outside the universe of my own perceptions that I can't even listen to his arguments.

Claude's veering towards the Right, I see. :P

I think you're hopping in there looking to be annoyed and to disagree. It helps to be, if not open to believing the perspectives of others, at least open to trying to understand why they have that view. Clearly it's not uncommon. The facts speak for themselves, and not only has D2 done poorly from a financial standpoint, but if you follow DestinyTracker's stats, the number of people playing the game on average has been the lowest in Destiny history (minus the significant bump that Warmind has given it over the past few weeks).

You may think the game has been perfectly fine since launch, but Bungie hasn't been able to coast off of the people who share the same view like they did during D1. Because you're clearly in the minority.

Most people who aren't happy with the game won't go online to complain about it, they'll just stop playing. And there's so much great stuff out there, and so many games that don't make the same dumb mistakes that Bungie does, that nobody's really feeling like they're missing out to the point where they're coming back to do more than checking out the latest DLC that they probably already paid for (and that Bungie's trying to get you to do again, by suckering chumps into a new Season Pass).

For what it's worth, I've always found enough enjoyable stuff in the game to get my money's worth (and without complaining as I play), but I won't lick Bungie's feet by failing to acknowledge that they screwed the pooch with it from day 1 to today (and the "Annual Pass" is just more of that). All of that is true, but I mean, I play better games for the different aspects that I want. I play D2 to have a fun time with friends, or to enjoy some of the gameplay elements that it does better than a lot of other games.

Still, I'm probably going to get Forsaken, and maybe down the road, I'll pick up the new season pass (and as you know, I'm occasionally looking to see if it's on sale for Xbox). I like the game... But I think Skill Up is completely on point in a lot of his criticism as well.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread