That's definitely up for interpretation (Destiny)

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Wednesday, June 06, 2018, 14:34 (2160 days ago) @ Korny

I took it as he was disagreeing that Forsaken should be free while also agreeing with their assessment of D2 launch.

Yeah, I can see how the interpreted placement of vocal parentheses can lead to things being taken in wildly different levels of meaning.

I watch a lot of Skill Up's videos. One thing that I like is that he is a much more positive person than other reviewers, and one who doesn't lean on hyperbole or absolutes while sharing his perspective. I guess that's why I don't jump in assuming the worst behind the things that he says. There are countless entitled douchebags that have a loud voice in our community (Bromnigul, anyone?), which is why I single this guy's thoughts out as worth listening to, but it's pitchforks, circlejerks, and snowflakes on this forum.

Fair enough, I think the only other video I've seen (cause you shared it) was his Curse Of Osiris video and I was taken aback by how negative he was in it.

I appreciate that you understand that one can interpret what he said different ways.

Also "but it's pitchforks, circlejerks, and snowflakes on this forum." is ad hominem like whoa. We're fired up about a narrative that launch Destiny 2 was objectively terrible. Our reaction to that isn't invalid, and maybe Skill Up isn't making that point, but I don't think it's snowflakey/circle jerky to express our frustration about it.

I've got other nitpicks for the video now that I've tried to re-contextualize the "objectively worse" comment, but they're relatively moot and don't bother me in the way that that one particular concept does.

And look, maybe everyone has become snowflakey (seriously, "snowflake" often is used by someone so aggrieved that they embody the thing they're making fun of) because the cottage industry of being angry about something that Bungie has done has grown to the point that it feels omnipresent and a perpetual downer. I'm guilty of jumping in on it, and I regret that I have.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread