DeeJ: "If you don't like playing against stacked teams... (Destiny)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, June 07, 2018, 08:51 (2159 days ago) @ Malagate
edited by Kermit, Thursday, June 07, 2018, 08:56

Play Rumble."

Well then...

I am really not experiencing what everyone else is.

Okay, Kermit.

Huh? What are you saying?

He's trying to invoke your name as if it's a slander rather than the compliment we all know it really is when one likens us to you.

Thanks for the compliment, and I suspect you're right about his intention. I prefer insults delivered explicitly and directly rather than in snide asides, though. All the better to acknowledge the fault or defend myself.

It's clear how he meant it, however you want to play your interpretation. And you know perfectly well why he puts it that way. There have been arguments outside this forum where you've taken a particular tack, much to his (and my) irritation. Given the same sets of facts, and similar intellectual abilities; you both draw disparate conclusions based on experience and perspective. As people do.

Let's not bring (or continue) the contention here, and let's not be disingenuous about recognizing the truth. The reason I (and I suspect many others) consider this place a home is the drastic difference in singal:noise.

Let's keep it that way.

~M

Is it clear?

Although I have my suspicions, I don't know perfectly well what Korny is thinking because I'm not psychic (similarly, I don't know what you mean by contention or truth). That's why I asked him for clarification--let's get to the nub of whatever it is he thinks my name is shorthand for.

I mean, ban me for continuing if you must, and I wouldn't except I believe it's relevant to discussions here. I've seen at least two kinds of arrogance on display--there's the old Cody kind of arrogance (that he doesn't indulges in as much anymore--that's a compliment, Cody), which is that my opinion is the absolute truth and no other point of view is worthy of acknowledgement. The second kind I'd characterize as assumed omniscience, not just about your own opinion and reasoning, but also about those who hold opposing opinions, their reasoning, their knowledge, their experience, the biases that led them to their wrong opinion, and what they really mean by what they say. People guilty of this kind often say things like "you know perfectly well why."

In my view, Korny's certainly guilty of the latter kind of arrogance in this thread, but I didn't engage him on that. I asked a simple question--what is he getting at by invoking my name?--a question I think I have a right to ask.

He can respond to me privately by the way. I'd like to hash it out because I think it could lead to a better friendship, and I'd rather not litter the forum with all this personal stuff, but he made it personal, and so did you.

One final point about argumentation in general. If I can't argue from both sides, if I can't summarize someone else's argument such that they agree with my summary, then I don't understand their argument, and I'm probably guilty of the kind of arrogance I've described. I state that from my point of view to remind myself that humility is a necessary component for listening and learning.

Kerm

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread