Heh. (Gaming)

by Joe Duplessie (SNIPE 316) ⌂ @, Detroit, Monday, October 24, 2022, 12:37 (549 days ago) @ Claude Errera
edited by Joe Duplessie (SNIPE 316), Monday, October 24, 2022, 13:13

I guess I'm with Anna (and Cheapley, and Kid) on this one. This video serves no real purpose; it adds nothing productive to the conversation (and really, it adds nothing AT ALL to the conversation, if we're being honest).

Maybe you're over thinking it. It's just a fed up Halo fan venting really, and then reminiscing about the glory days. Then thousands of others are coming in and swapping stories. It doesn't really have to be any more than that.

The last few minutes pay tribute to the original games... but ignores the negative press THOSE got at (and before) launch. And the crap in the front ignores the fact that you could make a nearly identical video about Destiny (which, to be clear, is a game I enjoy very much and have no interest in putting down), suggesting that the real issue isn't the switch to a team that isn't capable, but to an environment in which it's much, much harder to make games.

To be clear, even ignoring any debate on 343, the root of most issues with AAA games these days are the ultra aggressive monetization tactics of the publishers. ($25 for what used to amount to a small title update?? My gods, it's worse than I thought) It's a business, obviously. The goal is to make money. However, recent schemes designed to squeeze as much as possible out of players have had an objectively negative impact on the quality of games.

Even if the devs are absolute gods, their hands are tied by the publisher's sole goal of making money.

Whatever. Everyone's entitled to their opinions. Lots of folks (including folks in this very thread) are sure that 343 is incompetent, and that Halo sucks, now and forever going forward. Plenty of people disagree with that view. (I'm one of them.) Nobody's forcing anyone to continue playing, or stop playing - dump it if it's not for you, keep logging in if it is.

Mostly, though, I'm sad that there are people who continue to invest mental energy in a game that they've said, for more than a DECADE now, that they hate. There are so, so many better things to do with that energy.

That's a strange way to see it. We don't hate the game. We hate what it has become, and want it to return. That shouldn't be difficult to understand. Remember New Coke? Same thing.

I also think you're severely overestimating the amount of time/mental energy we invest... What's a few occasional posts cost? My energy is devoted to posting cool stuff on HBO, you won't find anything negative from me. I'm sitting back enjoying the awakening of the Halo modding scene. I simply thought this particular video was really well done, and as it's making waves in the community at the moment, it felt appropriate to share. I wouldn't have put it on DBO personally, but Morpheus thought differently.

*Now everyone can haz Recon. (Remember the Road to Recon? How cool was that?)

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread