You're Right. (Gaming)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, October 25, 2022, 15:55 (521 days ago) @ Claude Errera

I honestly don't know. All I know is, in the specific case of split-screen co-op in Infinite, a representative of a video game company told us, "We can't do it" and a random gamer told us, "We did it, here's how to do it". I don't think that 343i is willingly trying to screw us over—at least, I hope not. But I would have liked to hear an explanation on how that happened, back then.

I am no longer in any inner circle that gets to hear how the sausage is made, but I'd be willing to bet real money that the testing team found enough points of failure that the feature didn't make the cert cut. The fact that a random gamer says it works, for him and his friends, means NOTHING. It's a feature that has to work for MILLIONS of people, all the time, not tens of people, for a while.

Just look at the digital foundry video where they run through in split screen using the glitch. There are tons of issues that they encountered, from graphical to game breaking. So, it's simply not ready. It needed more time to iron that stuff out. Just because you can do it doesn't mean it works flawlessly yet.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread