Beat Me To It. (Responses) (Gaming)

by Claude Errera @, Tuesday, October 25, 2022, 09:16 (521 days ago) @ Morpheus

Gaming companies, for the most part, are full of people who love gaming, and love making games. I'm sure there are examples out there of gaming companies that were created simply to milk the public's love for video games... but I don't know of any, and I don't really care if someone points out examples, because they're a TINY MINORITY, if they exist.

The reason gaming companies (especially big ones) are so secretive is because if they say something, they're locked into that something for all time.

Because of shit like this.

Do you think that they didn't try their best to include split screen in Infinite? Do you think that they DID finish it, and then chose to tell people they didn't, and that the glitch that allows it to play proved them to be liars? Do you think there can't POSSIBLY be another explanation for its lack of inclusion in the final product... that really, all 343 was doing was lying to you?

If that's really how you see the management behind gaming companies... why not find something new to do with your free time? Why give money to people who are actively trying to fuck you over?

They (like everyone) have goals. They try their best to meet those goals... sometimes they fail. Sometimes those failures are due to an inability to get the tech to work as well as it needs to. Sometimes those failures are due to mismanagement, or overmanagement, or bean counting. Sometimes, the people actually MAKING the games are in conflict with the people supplying the money to make the games... and the gamers suffer. BUT EVEN IN THOSE CASES, the people supplying the money aren't actively trying to fuck us over... because THEN THEY DON'T GET MORE MONEY. They're just making bad decisions, and we're paying for that. And you know what? If your favorite gaming company (or the company that makes your favorite game) does this to you... you are 100% within your rights to say "I'm not paying for that any more" and walking away. It's even reasonable to complain about it... because money is money, and you bought something with an expectation, and that expectation wasn't met.

What's dumb (to me) is to not only complain that it happened... but to continue complaining, well after the point is made. And to choose NOT to walk away... but to pop up in every thread that appears, making the same point over and over and over again.

I actually find it pretty funny that three different people (two privately, one publicly) defended their comments in this thread against my last lamentation about this overcomplaining... and in actual fact it wasn't aimed at any of those three.

Here's the thing: this is a Destiny fansite. More than that, it's a BUNGIE-centric Destiny fansite. It's not a Halo fansite, and it's not a 343 fansite. (We have the first one of those... but you guys aren't ranting about this over there. [edit: apparently snipe DID bring this up over there, I just missed it.]) Yes, we're a gaming community, and yes, everyone here is allowed to talk about stuff that isn't Destiny, or isn't Bungie-related. I'm just suggesting that having this same argument a dozen times is getting tiring. What point was made in this thread that hasn't been made many times before? What new information has ANYONE brought to the table here? (Well, except for the works of Crowbcat - never heard of the guy before now, so I guess that's new. But there's nothing in HIS video that's new, so...)

I don't know. It's been a super-shitty couple of years, and my whole life seems to be about regret - regret for stuff we've lost, regret for how the world is going, regret for what's coming. I used to see this place as a little bit of a haven from that, where I could shoot the shit with a bunch of like-minded people and get away from the depressingness for a little while.

I guess there's regret that that's gone, too. :(

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread