Eh. (Gaming)

by Joe Duplessie (SNIPE 316) ⌂ @, Detroit, Monday, October 24, 2022, 13:32 (549 days ago) @ Claude Errera

The difference is that there were far fewer voices... and that there's more money in slagging something than praising it.

Were there fewer voices? I don't know about that one... Those original games sold millions and millions of copies. I could maybe see that the barrier for entry to bitch is much lower these days, if that's what you meant.

What I do know, is that the money angle you're going for would only apply to the content creators. It wouldn't account for the tens of thousands of random tweets and YT comments from nobodies.

And to be honest, I don't see how you could watch any of those videos and think those guys are hamming it up. For example Crit1kal (who just paid out 20 grand for a Halo bounty), or Chris Ray Gun, or SomeOrdinaryGamers. These guys are enraged nearly to tears as they talk about it, while simultaneously sharing their personal fond memories of the experiences they had with Halo. So while there probably are bandwagoners dogpiling the situation, I don't believe they represent the majority.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread