Eh. (Gaming)

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Wednesday, October 26, 2022, 08:17 (520 days ago) @ EffortlessFury

Want me to link you to some articles? Source some Active Daily User numbers? Want me to find papers on the psychological impact of social media?

No, don't waste your time because on further thought it's irrelevant to the original statement.
That being (though not laid out as clearly as it should have been) yes there were complaints online, but sentiment for the games was still overwhelmingly positive, regardless of where it took place. Like, percentage-wise.

Yes, people obnoxiously complaining about something existed well before the internet, the internet just has more and more over the years exacerbated that issue, like it does for many others.

I just think people were happier then because things were better. It doesn't have to be more complicated than that.

And I apologize for my sarcastic tone earlier. I had a long day and your message seemed aggressive, but on re-reading it I don't get that now.

The point being made is that the complaints were contained to fewer places as the larger spaces that were forming on the internet were not yet so toxic. The level of toxicity in the spaces that allowed it was pretty intense, it just didn't leak out onto all of the general hubs.

You had to seek out the negativity more actively than today, so it was easier to miss. Now, it finds you in public, no matter which major space you are in.

And even if my take is perhaps not perfectly accurate, especially because it lacks nuance, maybe this is the simplest way I can say it:

That positivity (about Halo 2, for example) was more visible has a lot more to do with the state of the internet and the state of gaming than you give it credit for; it was not for lack of flaws worth criticizing.

This is obviously conjecture but I just assume Halo 2 dropping today would have had whole video series about how Dual Wielding is RUINING HALO and that Bungie was short changing people by not even FINISHING the campaign...

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread