YES

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, March 01, 2013, 10:57 (4045 days ago) @ narcogen

It's not even really a question of whether the transactions are mandatory, de facto or de jure, or if they confer a gameplay advantage, it's that a franchise designed around that dynamic probably can't help but decrease in quality over time because ot the trend you identify-- parts of the game have to be bad enough that you'll pay to avoid them. It's sort of like the game is an abusive spouse. EA knows something about abuse from spouses.

Yes! This is why even though particular micro transactions may not be 'game breaking', there mere act of setting your game up to include micro transactions is going to negatively affect the design of the game.

Even in games where the content is not available by playing the game (as in, paying is the only way to get it), then the developers are essentially letting you play an inferior version of their game when you buy it. If all this stuff you can buy makes the game better, why is it not there in the first place? If I was making a game, I'd want my players to play the best game possible. This shows a lack of artistic integrity.

Of course if the content doesn't actually make the game better, then it's just crap content that you shouldn't pay for anyway.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread