Obviously me, and many, many others

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Friday, March 01, 2013, 16:44 (4066 days ago) @ Cody Miller

My thoughts exactly, micro transitions are fine if they are the "unlock everything / this item early type things. if you don’t have time to commit to a game, or if you simply have a low attention span then fine, unlock early and pay the premium.

I always thought that people playing games was because they wanted to PLAY games. If you have a low attention span or don't have the time to commit to a game, wouldn't the better, and free option be just to not play that game in the first place? If you have a desire to skip content, something tells me you aren't really enjoying yourself, and if the game encourages content skipping, then it seems like it's not designed to be engaging.

Then you'd have to do something else though. A lot of people play games to kill time, and they are one of the best types of things in existence for that. Of course then the question of "why pay to not play?" comes back with a vengeance, but maybe what they want isn't your kind of playing, it's more like a ride. Maybe they want an experience, maybe one TV, books, etc. can't provide, but they don't care for the challenge side of it or the investment of time doing the same thing or similar things. Before you say that's grinding, people have been known to also spend time doing the same thing over and over because they can't do it successfully, and some of them would rather just skip it instead of getting better (if in fact they can, none of this seems to address people with certain disorders or injuries that make playing video games a lot harder).

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread