Honestly I think this debate is getting pointless...

by Avateur @, Friday, March 01, 2013, 19:12 (4045 days ago) @ Xenos

There are obviously a few hear who don't want any microtransactions of any kind in their games, which is fine, we all have a right to our opinions. I think the only conclusion that I've drawn from this and similar threads is: some games have microtransactions that don't break the game and some do. I think the main problem I have with the whole situation is the overgeneralization.

For example:

Saying that microtransactions result in a crappier game because they want you to buy the extra content. WAY overgeneralization.

One I never personally stated, though it still holds true in many instances. I also like how nearly all of this thread has focused on microtransactions as it appears within a game's campaign, not even taking competitive multiplayer into account at all (or even non-competitive). This thread also does a great job of overlooking the fact that the designers who institute microtransactions are usually trying to get you to buy things that are already on the disc that might take actual skill or might be really difficult to achieve. If they're already on the disc and you have to grind or get great at the game to unlock certain things, but said things are already on the disc, why would they ever be a pay option? Why have to earn them at all if that's the case? Make them available to all at the start, especially when looking at multiplayer. But why do that when we can make money off of what people already paid for when they bought the disc itself, especially when looking at many who don't have the time (or don't want to put in the time and effort to get better, even if they have the time)?

The oldest form of what some people on here call microtransactions is an expansion pack, and the one that most games have now is a map pack or additional mission. Now unless these were being developed simultaneously with the game and they are holding onto them just to make money then this is not making the original game worse.

I think you're reaching, though I'm not denying that some people have called microtransactions are your above examples.

As far as the smaller DLC packs like weapons: if you can unlock it normally that doesn't mean you have to "grind" to unlock the weapons. The reason it is known as grinding is because in RPG's the combat gets boring. If it's an FPS or similar action game and you enjoy the gameplay and would play it even if you wouldn't unlock something that is NOT grinding. I do not consider Halo Reach or ME3 to involve grinding because if I wasn't enjoying the actual gameplay I would stop.

Highly subjective, and I completely disagree. Then again, a lot of this is subjective, my opinions included. At the same time, in games like BF3 where you can purchase a pack that unlocks all sorts of nifty attachments and abilities for vehicles that otherwise would take not just constant play but actual skill with said vehicles to obtain certain things, people are put at an automatic disadvantage if they can neither afford the pack themselves or if they're actually putting in the time and effort and skill to get to somewhere that someone just got on day one with little to no input. And unfortunately, even the more skilled player may end up losing to someone with the totally decked out heat-seeker missile jet while they're just trying to get past flares. This also calls into question the game's balance as a whole, especially if undesirable to play or giving advantages to those who play longer vs. those who are new, and thus the microtransaction bit lends support to attempting to get people to pay for a game that has been purposely made mundane/not fun/broken.

Another example the other way:

Saying that microtransactions has improved the gaming industry is not just an overgeneralization but also impossible to verify. Sure if you are going by game sales and profits it has "improved" the gaming industry, but saying that it improves game quality is too overgeneralized. There are plenty of games (mobile games especially) that are absolute crap mostly because the developer decided they wanted to make a lot of money by selling you every single piece of content.

Agreed. Correlation is not necessarily causation. Sometimes I forget this myself. :P

Sorry if my thoughts are a little random, I kind of wrote this stream-of-consciousness style.

Not at all! A lot of the posts in this thread have been great. I've wanted to reply to a few, but I've mostly been catching up. I still need to read pete's. Honestly I felt your post was best for me to reply to because it seems to provide an opening for areas a lot of people haven't discussed.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread