You forget, Halo: Reach DID have micro-transactions

by Avateur @, Monday, March 04, 2013, 16:53 (4042 days ago) @ RC

It does many things well, and while I disagree about it being the ultimate Halo, I'd just like to point out that it doesn't need microtransactions to do the things it does well or to fail at the things it falls short on.

Well, at least if we go by Cody's definition of 'micro-transaction' as 'anything that's not a full-game release or bumper-sized expansion pack.'

Let me remind you:

• DLC Map Packs: Noble, Defiant, Anniversary. $10, $10, $20 - $40.
  • Bungie Pro - $10 per year (until it ended)
  • Render minutes bundles - $variable

Were you blinded by their majesty?

I don't use Cody's definition. I've never considered map packs as something that fell under microtransactions. Bungie Pro is also a service that one pays for. I don't have a capture card, and Bungie Pro made it so I could render films. And there were free render minutes that I could use without purchasing bundles. Bundles just gave me a ton of minutes for a ton of videos if I ever needed it. I don't include a separate and optional service that allows me to convert video into a format that I can put onto a computer or take me with me anywhere well outside of the game as a microtransaction. A microtransaction would be something like, hey, you saved that film, but to watch it again or show it to anyone in the game's theater mode, shell out the cash. No thanks.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread