Funny thing about Mirco-transactions (in my experience)

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Monday, March 04, 2013, 10:04 (4043 days ago) @ Avateur

Is that even though they are small, is how quickly they can add up!

I have only one thing to say on the topic of micro transactions and it is this: I do not envy parents of young children who are trying to teach them about the value of money, and how this kind of transaction can... "run away" with itself in a sense.

How do you teach an 8 year old the value of a dollar, if they never see it or have it go through their hand?

I can name a couple of people personally who let their children play with their ipads innocently enough, but had no idea their kids had purchased a bunch of extra levels, items, and other in-game content while doing it.

To be fair, the kids didn't know either and in their defense, the parents shouldn't have neglected to setup their accounts with their kids in mind (you know, purchase protection and not having a credit card saved into the device, etc).

It was just amusing to watch them explain that what they did cost real money even though they didn't physically buy anything.

Lesson learned on my friends part now of course, but still I was dumbfounded by how fast the cost ballooned. (Apple was kind enough to refund them their purchases, with a warning)

IDK. You or I may be an adult and know how they work in relation to our bank accounts, but man, that's gotta be a fun one to teach your kids lol. And yes, I know that there are parental controls for most of that stuff, assuming the adult remembers to set them up! :D

For me, this is usually how I feel after

[image]

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread