YES

by thebruce ⌂, Ontario, Canada, Sunday, March 03, 2013, 19:53 (4068 days ago) @ Cody Miller

My friends are playing a game that requires content at a level above my own. I would eventually get there on my own - but if I want to play with them NOW, I have to buy the content. I choose to buy it because the chance to play with them now outweighs the cost of the content (for me).

That would be a good reason. However, would you not be a bit upset that the developer even put you in that position?

Nope.

Do I skip playing this game I like in order to play with my friends now?

Yep.

If you keep playing then you can't play with them, and if you you play with them you don't get the content you wanted to get on your own.

What makes you think I want to get the content on my own? My willingness to buy it inherently means that in my case, I didn't want to "get it on my own"; at least not as much as I wanted to play with my friends.*
You, again, assume that everyone wants every element of a game right at the start. That any element of a game that's not available to all users immediately, or at least without paying for it, is somehow "intentionally crippled" by the developer. You can't seem to understand that people have different desires when playing games.

You lose something either way.

YMMV.

* This is entirely in the context of the example provided above by Wu.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread