Apparently Cliffy B really disagrees with me

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, March 04, 2013, 16:03 (4068 days ago) @ Cody Miller

If you care about great games, buy only great ones. Better yet, if you really care, work your way into the business so that you can make the games that you want to play. You might get lucky and have your faith rewarded.

This doesn't work. I've been doing this for a long time now. It doesn't matter. Not enough people care for this to make an impact, and it just gets harder and harder to find great games.

I'm assuming that "this" refers to buying great games. What else is there to do? (Well, there are other things, but I'll get to that.) I feel your pain, because you remind me of myself with music. Even the good stuff now sounds derivative of someone else I was into years ago. I don't know if it's me or the music, but I'm just having the trouble mustering the enthusiasm I used to for new music. But even that seems cyclical. I'll read more, watch more movies. Then one day on a whim I'll record a few hours of KCRW, and I'll get excited about some band I hadn't heard of.

It's interesting, because right now adventure gaming is probably as good as it was in the Sierra / Lucasarts heyday. But adventure games don't really sell all that well. So why would people be making them? Because the people making adventure games now are really passionate about adventure games. That makes all the difference.

I think there are periods we like to categorize as golden ages (for most people it's whatever was popular whenever they got into their hobby), and no one really knows if we're on the cusp of another golden age, but I like believing the best is yet to come, especially with something as technologically driven as video games. I'm not the gamer you are, but I'm glad to hear someone with your perspective thinks that some genre of gaming is going well. I agree with the idea that passion is the key, but that brings me to what else can be done. I know you work with scripts, and you've joked about working at Bungie before, so why not go for it? It's the people with the strongest opinions about what things should be that end up making what they want to see. A certain amount of ego is necessary. Heaven knows you've got that. ;)

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread