I Disagree & Agree (Destiny)

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Wednesday, June 10, 2015, 15:49 (3267 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

We need level 34 Raids, and we need more vault space.

Yes, please! Although if I'm completely honest with myself, if had more vault space I'd just fill it up with more weapons which I won't use (like the weapons my vault is filled with now). I need less armor space & more weapons & items space. More Items is the most needed for me as I have weapons I can trash, I just need to get around to making the decision to actually do it.

I know there are lots of people who disagree with me on this, but in my opinion Prison of Elders just doesn't cut it. The arenas are poorly designed, the encounters are dull, and the boss fights flip between ridiculously punishing and easily exploitable. IMO, PoE belongs in Destiny, but not as "end game" content. It should be right there along side the strike playlists as a fun little diversion. Maybe level 28, 30 and 32. And even then, it needs major improvements before it stands up to other activities in Destiny, or to Arena modes in other games.

I'm going to disagree a little here. The arenas could definitely be designed better, but I don't think they're terrible. I love playing duckhunt in the hive arena (when the thrall & acolytes jump over that ridge on the left, it's just fun popping them in the head while they're airborn).

My biggest complaint with it is that you get overwhelmed by adds and there aren't many good places to fortify (and when you do find one there's little reason to leave & when you do have to you need to swim through a flood of enemies that you haven't had the chance to kill yet while hoping you can make it to the other side of the arena for some cover. There's no good way to move between fortified areas.

So, yeah the encounters don't live up to raid level encounters, they rank somewhere between a strike boss & a raid boss (for me). They have more mechanics and dimension than a strike boss, but not perfected and polished like a raid boss encounter. I think this is due to the fact that they all happen in the same arenas. Despite this the encounters are still fun (for me). Maybe that's because I haven't run PoE very much, I dunno.

As a side-note, I would love love love to have a boss that does something other than the death-stomp when you get close. Swing at me & send me flying like a Hunter from Halo, or teleport me elsewhere. Please, anything other than stomping my face.

I think we should have gotten more with House of Wolves, but there's no point in lamenting that fact. That's why I bring up level 34 versions of the 2 existing raids. We need a top level PvE activity other than PoE, and we need it yesterday. I don't see any chance of getting new content before The Taken King, but if Bungie could at least give us higher-difficulty versions of Crota's End and VoG, we would have a couple worthwhile activities to hold us over.

I feel I pretty much got my $15 worth, but I'm not sure HoW will have the staying power to keep me until this fall. Good thing I have a busy Summer schedule! Having a raid would have been amazing & would have given it the staying power it needs. Getting a ranked up VoG would have been a decent stop-gap solution for me (but would have likely drawn the ire of many).

Anyway, for a large part my feelings are in a similar direction, but with a much reduced magnitude.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread