Regarding gear... (Destiny)

by red robber @, Crawfish Country, Wednesday, June 10, 2015, 17:12 (3264 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I don't think a traditional 20-40 hr, standard single playthrough campaign then put down type design would have worked at all for Destiny. They have a 10 year plan. Much like people don't use the term WoW 2, I don't think there will be a true Destiny 2. I think this game will simply continue to evolve and expand with things we love, things we don't yet know we'll love, and maybe some things we'll hate because they don't fit our style. There are so many people playing destiny in there own unique way, and this is required because you need people to keep this game alive for 10 years.

No game should last ten years, that's my point. They shouldn't have a ten year plan. All games that do this are failures creatively, simply because it is humanly impossible to design enough content to keep a player busy for ten years. Plain and simple. That's why all these games have repetitive elements. A game you play for years is a terrible goal, as has been show. Nice idea, but impossibly practically unless you can pay talented people in Bangladesh pennies on the dollar to make stuff for your game.

That's also your opinion. I have no qualms about a 10 year game plan. Most of my favorite game were not one off's but series. Rainbow Six, CoD, Splinter Cell, Battlefield, and of course Halo. I'd say Halo's first 10 years, all the Bungie years were great. And everyone who played them will argue which one was the best. But I think we can all admit that from Halo CE to Reach, they were all good quality games which brought a ton of fun and good times to those that played them. I understand that Halo wasn't conceptualized as a 10 year game, but it still created enough content with far fewer employees to fill that time span. I can easily see the 500 at Bungie in teams creating packs of content over the same time frame with the same quality.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread