Have you played Mass Effect 3? (Destiny)

by Kahzgul, Wednesday, June 10, 2015, 21:03 (3267 days ago) @ Ragashingo

I agree on almost all points.

The big difference for me is that ME3 had far more distinction in their enemy types. The way in which you fought a grunt unit was totally different from how you fought a banshee was totally different from how you fought those ninja dudes (sorry, it's been a while since I played and I forget all the unit names). In destiny, the strategy for every single enemy is to shoot it in the face (or bird poop pod). There's no flanking (or point to flanking, since it often means you can no longer hit the critical spot), and there's no enemy where you're safer running away than you are just killing it. If you do run in Destiny, it's a last ditch effort that usually screws over your teammates who will not be able to rescue you as a result. Also, because of how enemies in Destiny spawn and move, you're often too busy covering your own ass to help a friend. In PoE, the enemies have so many hitpoints that even your supers are unlikely to clear an area (my golden gun is now purely used to strip flame shields, or if I think it will take too long to reload hawkmoon and I have 1 almost dead guy I have to kill *right now*).

Where ME3 needed a team to take strategic positions in order to spread the enemy thinner, and you were in trouble if you ever got pinned down, Destiny needs a team to group together in order to provide constant pushback against the horde, which really just means you're pinned down wherever you go and that being pinned down is really the optimal strategy. It's less compelling gameplay to me.

Furthermore, Not only did ME3's waves ramp up more slowly in difficulty, as you point out, but the waves all spawn in predictable numbers so you have a real sense of progress as you defeat enemies. In PoE, specifically, I often feel like the waves end after X amount of time rather than after defeating Y enemies, though I'm honestly not sure how they do it. It just seems like there are always 30 enemies out in the map, regardless of how many I kill or don't kill, until suddenly there are zero enemies left.

PoE = defend the corner, so no matter how awesome the maps are, 95% of those maps are not used.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread