If the rumours are true... (Destiny)

by Claude Errera @, Wednesday, June 10, 2015, 20:08 (3267 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Sentences like this:

"The arenas are poorly designed, the encounters are dull, and the boss fights flip between ridiculously punishing and easily exploitable."

But Claude, my sentence directly before that was "I know there are lots of people who disagree with me on this, but in my opinion Prison of Elders just doesn't cut it."

I specifically wrote that to avoid having my complaints come off as hyperbole. I was very careful to frame every single complaint as being "in my opinion" or something along those lines. I also make sure to include constructive feedback around every single complaint I post, so that it doesn't come across as mindless negativity.

I sometimes feel like any post that hints at being less than happy about a specific aspect of this game is met with "if you don't like it, stop playing it" from a portion of DBOers. And that doesn't seem particularly constructive to me (just as posting rampant negativity isn't constructive either) :)

All I'm really saying is that if I were to go by your words alone, I'd be baffled about why you still play certain modes. :)

Part of what I cut from my original op was that I think Destiny overall is looking better than it ever has at this point. I was trying to keep my post shorter, so I cut it. To your point, I probably shouldn't have done so, as my overall feelings about the game may not have come across.

I'm not sure I'm making my point. I READ the line before the sentence I quoted, and I KNOW you specifically stated that it's your opinion. 'Hyperbole' is probably not the right word to use. I'm not sure what the right word is.

What I tried to say was, your sentence left zero room (in my brain) for wiggle. You don't like the arenas, you don't like the encounters, you don't like the boss fights.

There isn't anything left.

If I played a mode where I thought the arenas were designed badly, and the encounters were dull, except the boss was fun to go up against... I'd probably go back. If The encounters were dull (and the boss was an exercise in frustration), but the arenas were really cool, maybe I'd go back. If the boss sucked and the arenas sucked but the general encounters were fun... I'd go back, I'd just do it less because the boss fight would put me off.

IF ALL THREE SUCKED, I WOULDN'T PLAY.

And that's me. Clearly, it's not you. Clearly, it's not other people here, either, since I see similar "there is nothing about this encounter I enjoy" posts from people who are obviously going back and doing this mode or that again.

I get that for the most part you like Destiny. But your original post in this thread makes it pretty clear that there's really nothing about Prison of Elders that you enjoy... and I'm pretty sure that's been mostly true since it came out (again, judging by your posts). So I guess I was expressing surprise that you were continuing to play the mode.

::shrug::

(As an example: I tried out ToO last week. I had a miserable time. I won't go back until something changes. The fact that there's now an Elimination mode in normal Crucible, one that is more forgiving than ToO while still allowing me to build up some experience with the style... maybe I'll give it another try down the road (if Elimination turns out to be fun). But certainly until there's a marked change in either me or the game, it will be a mode I simply will not play. Period. I guess I can't wrap my head around people who think differently on this particular issue. Weakness on my part, not yours.)

That's all, really.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread