If the rumours are true... (Destiny)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, June 10, 2015, 19:22 (3267 days ago) @ Claude Errera

... then Comet is the first expansion that I feel will actually earn the label of "expansion". I think TDB and HoW both have some great content, but they do feel quite thin given the price and time between releases.

I've seen a number of posts making similar observations this week. Which I find funny, given how many people were saying HoW was ABSOLUTELY WORTH THE PRICE OF ENTRY after the first couple of days. ;)

I look at the number of hours I've already spent on HoW-specific activities, and I'm having trouble seeing how I haven't gotten my $16 worth. That's me, though.

If I look at it in terms of "dollars per hour", then I'm inclined to agree. Although that is tricky with a game like Destiny, where so much of your time is spent repeating the same content over and over and over.

I suspect that some of us were looking at House of Wolves before release, seeing all the improvements that were on the way (upgrading gear, collecting materials, stuff like that) and thought "this all sounds fantastic!". And it is. But those improvements aren't part of House of Wolves. They are a title update to Destiny that launched at the same time as the expansion.

When I step back and look at House of Wolves in terms of "what content has been added to the game", it feels thin to me. An arena mode with 4 combat spaces (compared to the 10+ maps available in other arena modes, such as Gears of War, ODST, Mass Effect 3, Splinter Cell Blacklist, etc etc), a new PvP mode with some new maps (no complaints about this part, I think the PvP team nailed it), some missions that take place in already existing environments, and a decent if short strike mission.

To me, that's not a lot of content given we've been waiting almost 6 months.

As I've said in a few other posts, I think Destiny as a whole is in fantastic shape right now. A new player coming in has a ton of great content to sink their teeth in to. Where I think HoW falls flat is from the perspective of us insane uber-fans who have already squeezed every bit of life out of most of this game and are starving for more new stuff to do.

So in a way, my complaints are not even remotely fair to Bungie. I'm close to 700 hours in at this point, so my "bang for the buck" has been phenomenal (although I did buy 4 copies lol) But this is the kind of game they decided to make. They wanted to walk in to MMO waters; the genre that players expect to sink thousands of hours in to over the course of several years. When other games comes along and use the term "expansion", they deliver a chunk of content that dwarfs House of Wolves. So that's where expectations have been set.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread