The real problem is perfection. (Destiny)

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Thursday, June 11, 2015, 03:37 (3266 days ago) @ Cody Miller

This is because we take on challenges so we can actually overcome them. What's better, winning the superbowl on a bad call, or winning the superbowl by being the better team?

What possible pride can there be in defeating a challenge that is purely made in order to be defeatable, never varies, and is guaranteed to produce the same result with the same input? Hardly anything works that way except arbitrary constructs created for precisely that purpose.

In so many fields of endeavour it is possible (if not likely) to fail not just because you made a mistake, or because you weren't good enough, but because of circumstances entirely outside of your control. In PVP that element is the other team. In PVE, it's sometimes random elements or other mechanics that are not purely skill-based.

I'm not saying Destiny is perfect, I'm just saying that it has been very, very clear to me that Bungie's design parameters are not aiming for the kind of perfection you want, and I'm continually amused at your consternation over their failure to seek it.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread