Get to Know your Fellow D.B.Oer | Music (DBO)

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Sunday, April 08, 2018, 14:37 (2182 days ago) @ INSANEdrive
edited by Revenant1988, Sunday, April 08, 2018, 14:50

I have recently found myself with time to just... think. It's been nice. One of the things I've been pondering about is music, why I like what I like and what not. I've lived long enough now that through my memories I can watch the journey I've had thus far of my musical taste. From the seeds planted by my parents own musical tastes, to now where a set of sounds can transport me in time as effectively as smell can. Not only transport but change a room, like some sort of shared psychosis. After all, it's not the room that has changed, but the people in it.

I know. This post is off the cuff here I... I wasn't planning this or anything, it's just I yet again find myself with simple curiosity and an outlet to ask of it. I mean, at worst, Funkmon will present us with an essay why the Polka is ultimate form of music or something. :P

So I'm just going to throw down some questions here, and see where this leads.
------------------------------------------------------

• What do you look for in music? What is musics purpose for you?

Music is mostly something I use to unwind and relax with. I found early on that Heavy Metal was the genre for me, but that also naturally spreads out to classic rock, grunge, industrial etc. Beyond that, I don't really deviate. You won't find hip-hop, country or pop music in my library. Some people in my preferred choice can be metal snobs, but I like a spectrum of metal.

I love my music, I love it played live and it just really soothes my soul. Sometimes it's the lyrics, other times the riff or groove, or a combination of all of it.

The subject matter could be serious, political, or satire\parody or just fun.

My absolute favorites are anything with a great harmony of guitars, and\or vocals and anything where I can just get lost in the reverberations, when it's heavy, crunchy. You know when that dude in his car pulls up next to yours with his bass cranked up and it sounds like ass? I don't like that. It drowns out the rest of the mix. I want to feel it all.

Doesn't have to be English either, could be German or nordic. A couple Megadeth songs I like are in French and Spanish too. I love how music itself is it's own language.

[*]How has your taste for music changed, if they have, through the years and what do you think caused this/these change(s)?

For the most part, it's stayed pretty contained to the genre, but with a few mutations. One thing I found years ago I liked is Metal mixed with classical instruments. A good, mainstream example of this would be Metallica playing with the San Francisco Orchestra. Otherwise, this niche is hard to find...

But I also really like Grunge, especially Alice and Chains, which started out metal, then evolved over time.

When I met Paddy (a fellow HBO\DBOer) a few years back, he got me more into classic Metal, bands like Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Black Sabbath, Ronnie James Dio and now they are regularly in my line up. On that same token, I introduced him to Thrash metal (my fav) with bands like Anthrax, Megadeth, Slayer and Suicidal Tendencies.

So in my case, not much has really changed, so much as I've started to trace the roots of bands that influenced bands I like, and kept me firmly in that family-tree, so to speak.

[*]Bonus Question: Have you ever played an instrument? If so do you still play? Are or were you any good? Is there anything you've thought about playing?
[/list]

Nope, unless you want to count the recorder in 4th grade, or guitar hero. I have sang before with my friends shitty garage\cover band. Unfortunately, the songs I'm actually GOOD at you aren't likely to find in a Karaoke line up :P

I really like this youtube channelwhere a couple of guys who aren't heavy metal listeners, react to various songs for the first time.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread