Oh my God. Is this a joke? (DBO)

by Funkmon @, Monday, April 09, 2018, 00:14 (2181 days ago) @ INSANEdrive
edited by Funkmon, Monday, April 09, 2018, 00:53

Some kid actually got brainwashed into liking that Pure Moods CD?! Oh my god that's hilarious, insanedrive. You have no idea how happy this makes me.

Man, I'm going to relate this story to everybody I know, how some kid almost spent a hundred dollars on that thing. Oh man. That's amazing. I'm so happy.

But anyway, to answer your question from the main post, the ideal music is really the Danubian tradition of Minnesang from the late twelfth century, though the pinnacle came slightly later with the Mädchenlied style in particular.

The problem with the more popular courtly love songs of this era, whether adapted from the Occitans or not, is either the unattainability of the woman, or the very courtly nature. They don't seem to resemble reality much. While the Tagelied and Pastorelle do have normal women, the situations just don't work. The Pastorelle involves a nobleman coming upon a shepardess on the marches or in the wild, and usually he takes advantage of her. The Tagelied, while much more reasonable than most courtly love in that it talks about the night of intimacy and parting in the morning, it's too dramatic.

The Mädchenlied is perfect. It gives the woman more of a part in the romance and addresses her directly. The songs address problems and solutions, and don't go for the absurd feminine ideals of normal courtly love. She doesn't have a high status. It's a love in the heart.

It's really just been down hill from about AD 1200, musically.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread