Fighting Words. (DBO)

by cheapLEY @, Monday, April 09, 2018, 17:22 (2202 days ago) @ Harmanimus

and admit that something that includes electronics could actually be creatively valid.

Had I known you in person I would have suggested fisticuffs over the suggestion that electronics take away. But Wendy Carlos has been a hero of mine for almost 20 years (by awareness, longer for her work) not the least for being responsible for the soundtracks for Tron and A Clockwork Orange. Also for everything else she did for synthesizers as honest musical instruments.

The opinion that electronics and the rise of things like Garage Band (and it's actually professional quality counterparts) has led to lazier, less creative musicians is one of the most asinine opinions I've ever heard, especially when the opposite is actually true. As always, accessibility and options lead to more variety and higher quality in music in general. And, as always, there's no accounting for taste, but people that claim music of the past can never be surpassed leave me flabbergasted.

It's like claiming photography as a medium is somehow lesser because everyone carries around an actual quality camera in their pocket now. It just doesn't make any goddamn sense.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread