All for you buckaroo. (DBO)

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Monday, April 09, 2018, 00:45 (2207 days ago) @ Funkmon

Some kid actually got brainwashed into liking that Pure Moods CD?! Oh my god that's hilarious, insanedrive. You have no idea how happy this makes me.

Man, I'm going to relate this story to everybody I know, how some kid almost spent a hundred dollars on that thing. Oh man. That's amazing. I'm so happy.

Brainwash is abit strong of a word me thinks. I'd say I was more intrigued that music could sound so different then what I was generally used to at the time. I don't know if it was that CD in particular, all I remember was tubular bells was on it and it was a 2 disk set. Glad you got a kick out of the concept all the same.

But anyway, to answer your question from the main post, the ideal music is really the Danubian tradition of Minnesang from the late twelfth century, Mädchenlied style in particular.

The problem with the more popular courtly love songs of this era, whether adapted from the Occitans or not, is either the unattainability of the woman, or the very courtly nature. They don't seem to resemble reality much. While the Tagelied and Pastorelle do have normal women, the situations just don't work. The Pastorelle involves a nobleman coming upon a shepardess on the marches or in the wild, and usually he takes advantage of her. The Tagelied, while much more reasonable than most courtly love in that it talks about the night of intimacy and parting in the morning, it's too dramatic.

The Mädchenlied is perfect. It gives the woman more of a part in the romance and addresses her directly. The songs address problems and solutions, and don't go for the absurd feminine ideals of normal courtly love. She doesn't have a high status. It's a love in the heart.

It's really just been down hill from about AD 1200, musically.

You're a seriously eclectic bastard, you know that? I freaking love it, with the right dosage of course. :P

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread