Get to Know your Fellow D.B.Oer | Music (DBO)

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Sunday, April 08, 2018, 17:07 (2181 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

I have recently found myself with time to just... think. It's been nice. One of the things I've been pondering about is music, why I like what I like and what not. I've lived long enough now that through my memories I can watch the journey I've had thus far of my musical taste. From the seeds planted by my parents own musical tastes, to now where a set of sounds can transport me in time as effectively as smell can. Not only transport but change a room, like some sort of shared psychosis. After all, it's not the room that has changed, but the people in it.

I know. This post is off the cuff here I... I wasn't planning this or anything, it's just I yet again find myself with simple curiosity and an outlet to ask of it. I mean, at worst, Funkmon will present us with an essay why the Polka is ultimate form of music or something. :P

So I'm just going to throw down some questions here, and see where this leads.
------------------------------------------------------

• What do you look for in music? What is musics purpose for you?

Depends on what I'm doing. Since I spend most of my time coding, I want something that works into the back of my head as I focus on the work at hand. I don't want it to be necessarily super atmospheric, just not something that punches into the front of my thoughts. A lot of soundtracks...

[*]How has your taste for music changed, if they have, through the years and what do you think caused this/these change(s)?

As a teenager I listened to a lot of straight edge hardcore, mostly the DC/Boston variety. Though at the same time I enjoyed a wide variety of jams from Paul Simon's graceland to El-P's Fantastic Damage. By college I was listening to almost exclusively post-rock, mainly Explosions in the Sky. I'm now in my 30s and I'm listening to more post-rock, ambient, whatever spotify's algorithm spews out. I occasionally sit down and give a random Tool album a proper listen to. Oh and I have a Refused The Shape Of Punk To Come album in DVD-Audio 5.1 that is essential listening.

[*]Bonus Question: Have you ever played an instrument? If so do you still play? Are or were you any good? Is there anything you've thought about playing?

I played Clarinet, Contra-Alto E-Flat Clarinet in Orchestra, and Cymbals in the drumline. I was ok, I took some music theory on top of my comp sci degree but have made nothing of it and would likely take a lot of time to pick any instrument up at this point. If I have kids and then end up playing something, I'll probably pick up a complimentary instrument for the jollies.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread