So... (DBO)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, April 09, 2018, 20:25 (2207 days ago) @ cheapLEY

First, that was meant to come across in a semi-sarcastic tone, exaggerating and mocking what was literally said. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

Second, it was a story about the past.

Sorry, I wasn't taking a dig at you. I wasn't really referring to what you said, but just piggy backing on what Harmaniums said and making a sweeping generalization about some folks I've talked with that think music stopped being good in somewhere in the late 70s.

Heh, I know a lot of people my age who think of the 70s as a black hole musically, and it didn't bounce back until punk and new wave hit. I do think there are periods where music gets safe and stagnates. (We may be in one now.) Rock music, whatever that means now, is pretty old as a form. It's lasted much longer than, say, the Big Band era.

There are so many sources and types that I don't know if music is the cultural force it used to be. I mean, it used to be kind of like sports, something you could talk about with a relative stranger and find some common language. Now I'm not sure.

I know what you're talking about, though. I think many people tend to think of the music they listened to when they were young as the best music, and their tastes sort of calcify. i also know people who think that music to get better and better. I don't believe that either. I used to. I thought of the Beatles for example as a band that got better and better. Now I think the peak of their powers were right around Rubber Soul and Revolver. After that they became more fragmented, less focused, more experimental, and less consistent. They did amazing stuff like Sgt. Pepper, but it actually sounds more dated.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread