Get to Know your Fellow D.B.Oer | Music (DBO)

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Monday, April 09, 2018, 13:52 (2202 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

• What do you look for in music? What is musics purpose for you?

Music used to be a big part of my life but not so much these days. I don't know if it's because I'm older, or the way we consume music has changed. Growing up as a kid the music in my life was whatever my parents listened to. So lots of Golden Oldies from my Mom and Rock from my Dad. I remember when my dad showed me his record collection for the first time. I guess he figured I was old enough to respect vinyl without destroying it. Beatles, Elvis, Pink Floyd, James Gang, The Who, you name it. But I was drawn to one album for some reason. Led Zeppelin II. He showed me how to work the turn table. After a heavy pop and a couple of scratches, the opening riffs for Whole Lotta Love started playing. It was awesome! Until then, the music I was exposed to were generally Christian groups like DC Talk and Newsboys. When I got into middle school I subscribed to BMG music service and could get 15 cd's for 1 cent! Some of the first cd's I ordered consisted of Green Day, 311, White Zombie, Pantera, Nirvana, Soundgarden. The first cd I put was Pantera: Great Southern Trendkill. I still remember the feeling of anxiety creep over as I heard Phil Anselmo screaming into the mic as ravenous drums and guitar shredded my speakers. It was a feeling of fear and excitement. This is when I said to myself "I want to learn to play guitar."

[*]How has your taste for music changed, if they have, through the years and what do you think caused this/these change(s)?

I think the only way my taste has changed is just with my ability to stay up-to-date. Last week I had to ask my wife "Who the heck is Cardy B and what does he sing?" While I like anything with a guitar (except neo glam country) I've always been a metalhead. Groups like Pantera, Necrophagist, Between the Buried and Me, Job for a Cowboy, and whatever ridiculous grunting pig squeal that might make my ears bleed. Lately, I've been trying to keep it a lot lighter. Having a kid and recent social/political events...metal isn't the best go to. I'm diving back into classic r&b and pop. Sometimes some Sia and 21 Pilots and Daft Punk.

[*]Bonus Question: Have you ever played an instrument? If so do you still play? Are or were you any good? Is there anything you've thought about playing?
[/list]

As a kid I was forced to take piano lessons and I was actually really good. I hated it, but I was good. My parents always said "you'll thank us when you're older." Well, they were right...I wish I had kept playing because now I don't remember how and I wish I still could. Eventually got a guitar, then a bass guitar, learned to play both pretty well but not great. Was good friends with my neighbor who was an amazing musician and did a couple of projects with him. Played in a cover band for a while rotating between guitar, bass and drums. Was probably best at drums. I rarely play anymore, my guitars all hang on my wall. My 4 year old son has a childs drum kit and he likes to play it and is actually pretty good. I'll probably plug my old Ibanez into my amp soon enough and play along with his crazy beats.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread