On Uldren . . . (and other things) (Destiny)

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, September 05, 2018, 16:25 (2063 days ago) @ ManKitten

I’m not very far yet (just opened up the Baron adventures), but I don’t like the way they are handling Uldren’s story so far.

He’s such an interesting character, but they’re not using him well. I’d have loved to see him be cunning and plotting and leading the Awoken for his own purpose, rather than (I’m assuming) being tricked by whatever is in the Dreaming City. Like, the fact that he just slaughtered half of his people is weird to me—why not turn them towards his purpose? I feel like would have been more interesting.

It gets back to what I was talking about with the Spider. I love seeing different people and factions represented with their own motivations. Seeing an Awoken civil war could have been cool and interesting, again, with the animosity between Guardians and the Reef coming into play.
Zavala willingly abandoning the Reef to its fate is an interesting angle we could explore, but as it stands it’s just a boring way to let us be the central character again.

And it’s odd, because Ikora’s way would let the story and gameplay match up. Instead of the player being the lone Guardian seeking revenge, we could have had Guardian’s everywhere descending on the Reef, allowing the fact that there are actually a million Guardians in the Tangled Shore make sense, rather than having the game mechanics and the story at odds with each other. I wish Bungie would accept the type of game they’re developing and mold the story around it, rather than fighting it at every turn.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread