On Uldren . . . (and other things) (Destiny)

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, September 05, 2018, 19:30 (2062 days ago) @ Ragashingo

And I'll accept all that. I read a few of those cards, and they're fascinating. I want to get more of them before I really dive in. And I think they're great.

I guess, at a certain point, why does the creature in the Dreaming City want the Awoken dead, rather than under control? Wouldn't they be useful to have around?

Again, I'm not very far in the story, maybe that wouldn't make sense.

Really, I just think there would have been a more interesting, subtle angle that could have made for a more interesting story. Maybe that's just a problem with my expectations, wanting Destiny to tell a story that it just never well. I really find the "bad guy of the month" trope to be boring, almost inherently. Like I said before, we killed Oryx, everything else feels weak by comparison. I want to see Destiny tell more personal stories, stories about the actual people that live within the Universe. Less big bad guys with unknowable motivations, more smaller bad guys or morally questionable guys with interesting stories. Uldren's motivation (wanting to free his sister is great), but why couldn't they really make that the actual focus, let us actually get to know Uldren some, rather than just having him be a puppet for the raid boss.

Keep in mind, I am really nitpicking here. For as little as I've seen, this is still the best storytelling Destiny has ever done. I just want to get to know all the characters more, and not just have everything be secondary to whatever big bad we have to fight this week. I feel like we're stuck in one of the mid-series SG-1 seasons hunting Goa'uld over and over again and dealing with the Replicators, with none of it really getting anywhere. But we're missing all of the smaller character driven episodes that make that all bearable or even enjoyable.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread