Gotta play the meta to know the meta (Destiny)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Saturday, September 08, 2018, 10:22 (2060 days ago) @ ZackDark

And I think we all know that’s the real reason that infusion is so expensive. Most of the new guns simply can’t be as good as the best stuff we’ve already acquired, so Bungie needs to somehow force us into using the new blues and generic legendaries. Which for me ultimately makes me feel like I’m being de-powered. Even though the numbers on all my new weapons are higher than my old weapons, I feel less effective in combat. Doesn’t that run counter to the entire idea of increasing our light level?

No. You are also running against higher level enemies, so it balances out. Try running your old gear in the new strikes, see how 'much more effective' you really are. ;)

Other than that, I definitely agree with your sentiment. These new weapons, for now, feel kind of meh. Maybe we should give the game more than 5 days of RNG before deciding it all sucks, though.

I actually did that to an extent with the campaign. I did a tiny bit of infusing to get my light level up to about 400, then ran the whole campaign using my EP armor, EP Shotgun, and Whisper (I started with the Winter Wolf as my primary, but swapped it out for the bow once it was given to me). This meant that I was 40 points underleveled by the time I reached the end of the campaign, and it was awesome. It actually felt like I was facing more challenging and dangerous enemies, and it took everything I had to get passed them.
But eventually, you hit a point where you’re so underlevelled that you just can’t keep going without infusing your gear or swapping out for new, higher level gear. But as soon as I do that, the extra challenge is negated and I’m right back to “par” difficulty, only now I’m using weapons I don’t like.

Again, this time around, none of this has really been a problem for me. I had a blast playing through the campaign underlevelled, and I had enough resources to infuse a few favourite pieces of gear up to 500 as I dive into the end game. For me, as a player who sinks loads of time into the game, it feels like a nice balance. I’m just saying that I can sympathize for players who didn’t go into Forsaken with thousands of legendary shards in the bank, and are finding infusion costs a bit steep.

*edit*

Also, I didn’t say that all the new weapons suck :) I just said that I’ve tried almost every drop that I’ve gotten, and so far I don’t like any of them as much as the weapons I already have, with 1 or 2 exceptions.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread