Loot cave (Destiny)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Tuesday, September 23, 2014, 00:11 (3521 days ago) @ Kermit

You're projecting. I don't care about being cool. Loot farming diminishes the game for everyone. I don't accept the premise that it's gameplay. It is something else. It depresses me that that's how people spend their time. It depresses me that people can't just have fun without caring that their gear is not the best RIGHT NOW. You might say that I feel pretty strongly about it, but I come to those views honestly. I didn't post them here to get attaboys.

You're still letting the way other people play the game affect you personally, which is bad, and you acted out in such a way to affect their experience negatively, which is totally a douche move.

I know this because I danced in the cave for giggles and made many people angry. But it's funny to me, and I fully acknowledge that it's a douche move. However, I didn't do it for some holier-than-though reason because-Bungie-is-so-awesome-yay, I did it for my own enjoyment.

However, I helped two people get there today, explained the whole "etiquette" about how and when to get loot, and then spent an hour helping them get stuff (since my explosive-round regulator clears enemies faster than rifles). One of the two people had two Legendary Engrams in about ten minutes, and he didn't even shoot at the cave.

Point is, this place isn't breaking any rules. It's a mistake, but everything is well within the established rule set that Bungie provided. It needs to be removed, yes. But flat-out removing it without addressing the issues that make it extremely appealing to people is going to hurt the game, and that wouldn't make Activision any happier than the reviews have.

I got to level 27 the hard way. I struggled through the Weeklies for a handful of coins. I have over 70 strikes under my belt, and have pretty much become numb to all of the bosses, and have found MANY exploits (that I don't loosely share) to kill them out of the sheer number of ways that I have approached battles... And someone who just picked up the game and started farming has far better loot and gear than I do?

... Who. Cares?

I feel good about my stuff because I earned it, and I had a ton of fun getting it. If some Cave farmer gets tons of gear the easy way, that's his deal. Let him get some joy out of the game his own way. I'll still wreck him in PvE, and I won't turn down his help when the going gets tough.

People play the way they want to play, and if that means getting to max level by doing nothing but picking and trading in Spinmetal, or tackling the Raid over and over, then that's OKAY. Bungie made a world where most of that is possible, and if they want to change it, they can, but it's not your job to feel indignant for them. You aren't an employee. Don't be a douche, you're better than that.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread