Fun is subjective. (Rev's rant of the week) (Destiny)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Wednesday, October 08, 2014, 08:23 (3505 days ago) @ bluerunner

Maybe that's a good thing about RNG. Play what you enjoy and every once in a while something new will pop up unexpectedly.

As some of you may know, I'm not entirely fond of the Titan class. But getting a full set of Legendary/exotic armor for it (thanks, RNG!) inspired me to make one. Whatever happened, with whatever subclass, I knew that I had a full set of raid-ready gear waiting for me once I hit 20. So now, I had zero holes to dig in search of treasure. I had zero "incentive" to play the game. All I would have to do would be to grind quickly in the Venus atrium for a couple of hours and I'd be set...

But with this newfound freedom, I found myself putting restrictions on my gameplay, and I've ended up playing the game in so many new ways, that it doesn't feel like the same game. I've been going into missions at a difficulty above my own (My Warlock was typically five levels higher than the mission), I've been exclusively using weapons that I never touch as a Warlock, and the Defender build could not be more different from the Sunsinger... And I'm having fun. And I can thank RNG for getting me to open my eyes to that side.

But some folks think that the investment system itself is where people are getting their fun, simply because it can be addictive. And yet, completely unaffected by any progressional reward system, I've been having a blast simply because I'm playing the way I want to play, which is exactly what I was doing before, but now it can't be said that it was because the game was "handing me things", because there is nothing that the game can "hand" me, since I have zero inclination to rush towards the Exotic gear waiting for me. Playing with weapons that I don't use, at difficulties that slow my progress should say something about what people can get out of the game.

Take the Raid, for example. You are only rewarded once a week. I'm pretty sure I've joined at least ten Raid runs in the past week. What reward could I expect? What was the game going to "hand" me on the second run? On the third? Nothing. The past three times that it HAS given me something, it's been ascendant materials, two good weapons, and a Warlock bond. I haven't run to any forum crying about how the game ripped me off, or that my fun time was negated by the fact that I wasn't "rewarded" adequately...

I've even done this nightfall twice already, and will likely do it again a number of times before the week is over, and I'm not getting anything for it, other than the feeling of success, and the gratitude of whoever I run it with...

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread