Last year's interview with Jason Jones is a revelation. (Destiny)

by Claude Errera @, Wednesday, October 08, 2014, 08:30 (3505 days ago) @ HavokBlue

Investment system for the phoned-in half-assed attempt at storytelling that feels like it only exists to show off the skyboxes and environments you're going to spend the next few years re-running? This is where I have an issue, especially because of the comparison Jones makes to the Halo's campaign.

I ran through the missions, in order, the first time, by myself, so I could listen to the exposition and get a sense for the story. (Yes, I agree with a large number of people that the story is pretty weak at this stage. That's irrelevant to what I'm getting at here.)

After the first run-through, the storytelling wasn't what made me interested in replays - even the investment system wasn't REALLY what made me interested (though definitely when I'm having trouble picking the next place to go, a bounty will sway me to one mission over another). What made me interested was seeing how I could improve on my performance - I go back to the Archive and try to see if I can finish it without dying, or without taking damage, or without getting bracketed by invisible vandals, or without rockets, or with special weapons only, or WHATEVER. I don't give a crap that the 'story' elements (which I've heard a dozen times) are weak - because I'm not paying attention to them any more.

Yes, if I play a section exactly the same way as I did before, it becomes repetitive, because there's not a huge variation in where the enemies come from. (In fact, there may be none.) But I DON'T play it exactly the same way - and MY movement, and weapon choices, and order of attack, affects THEIR movement and actions, and new interplays open up. And personally, I find that really fun.

I'm still working on a technique for beating Draksis solo, when he's a level above me. I haven't figured it out yet - 2 or 3 people, it's no problem, but alone, in a small locked room... he kicks my ass every time, no matter what I try. Which makes me try new things. Eventually I'll figure it out. (Or get to a place where he CAN'T be a level above me, I guess.)

Personally, I find that really fun.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread