Last year's interview with Jason Jones is a revelation. (Destiny)

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Wednesday, October 08, 2014, 10:33 (3505 days ago) @ Monochron

Maybe our definitions of grinding differ?

They very much differ. To me it's called having fun playing the game.

Grinding to you is playing the game in order to have fun? I think we have the same definition actually . . .

Eh. That was badly written on my part. Grinding is replaying content over and over because you have to in order to achieve a goal. It can be fun but generally it is repetitive and annoying. I don't do that. I just play the game the way I want and let whatever rewards come as they may.

The best example I have of the way I interact with Destiny's investment system is how I've bought three exotic helmets from Xur. I did it by... doing absolutely nothing special. I played the game the way I wanted, then I threw all my strange coins into the vault and was delighted to see I had, completely unintentionally, collected enough to buy any item he was selling.

I think we might resolve our differences by understanding that you have been incredibly lucky with regard to what the games gives you. I'm just speculating here, but the fact that you have been able to buy three helmets from Xur means that you have gotten much better drops and rewards than I have. After 3 weeks of playing I was able to get one item from Xur, and after 5 days following that of playing every day, I have earned 2 Strange coins. linky

It is much more likely time put in than extraordinary luck. I don't believe the random rewards are good enough on my end or bad enough on yours to make a big difference.

My point is you shouldn't worry about what you have or are able to buy. Playing a FPS to... buy an in-game helmet is silly. You should be playing because playing is fun. Ignore any quest or bounty or challenge that tries to make you do something you don't want to. And then be delighted when you do get something neat. I throw most of my stuff in the vault so I don't have to think about it. I check back every once in a while to see if I have enough stuff to upgrade something. Doesn't that sound so much better than replaying something over and over because you don't have enough reputation to start earning enough currency to buy an item in a couple of weeks?

Yes, with my way you'll end up a bit behind some people, I wasn't near ready to do the Vault of Glass day one minute one, but I didn't do something I didn't want to do either. Ultimately, who comes out ahead, the one who turns what should be an enjoyable activity (playing video games) into a grind by doing something he doesn't want to do and complaining about it or the person who has fun the entire time and gets around to the longer term challenges a couple of weeks later?

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread