Last year's interview with Jason Jones is a revelation. (Destiny)

by ShadowOfTheVoid ⌂, South Carolina, Wednesday, October 08, 2014, 13:56 (3506 days ago) @ Riceamike

“I think the great tragedy of Halo is that for years and years it provided wonderful single-player and co-op content, and we provided people with almost no fun incentives or excuses, almost no reason besides their own enjoyment, to go back and replay it. So Halo 1 built these 10 labor of love missions, and only if you decided to go back and replay them was there any incentive to do so.

I don't get it. Is that supposed to be a bad thing or a good thing in his book? Some of the most replayable games I've experienced were the ones that were the most fun to play. Pretty much any Nintendo-developed game, especially the Super Mario and Mario Kart series, Super Metroid, A Link to the Past, Donkey Kong Country, Star Fox 64, and F-Zero, have been immensely replayable without modern carrot-and-stick/Skinner box methods to entice me to come back, and it's why Nintendo remains to this day my favorite game company. As for non-Nintendo games, the Halo trilogy plus ODST & Reach, Perfect Dark, the classic Mega Man and Mega Man X series, Genesis-era Sonic, Final Fantasy IV, Blaster Master, Gradius, Contra, and even more recent games like BioShock and Gears of War are all games I've played through many times, not because I felt like I had to because of some player investment system (they didn't have those... well, Reach sort of did, but it was for aesthetic items only), but because the game was that damn good. If your game is good, people will come back to it over and over. And that's a good thing. It's the way things should be, always.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread