Bad analogy doesn't fit what is actually happening (Destiny)

by scarab @, Monday, October 13, 2014, 13:54 (3500 days ago) @ bluerunner

I think the difference in opinion here boils down to people who have no problem with the hunt (i.e. grind) and people who like instant gratification.

So, essentially, they have a character flaw.

I can go and freeze my butt off sitting in a tree stand for hours (the grind) for the chance that a deer comes my way and I get to grill some delicious backstrap (the loot). Alternately, I can drive over to a steakhouse and have a nice steak in 20 minutes. Which is better and more enjoyable? There's some people who would never sit in the stand, and others who enjoy their time there. Would it be nice if that deer showed up as soon as you sat down and stood still right in front of you? Sure, but then you're missing out on the thrill and anticipation. Same thing if you just go get the steak, but for some people the steak is all they want. You seem to be a steak guy. That's cool, but some folks (oddly to your viewpoint) enjoy that time in the stand.

That is a bad analogy because it doesn't reflect what is happening in the game.

An analogy that better fits what's happening in Destiny is...

A big Harry Potter fan is told that Deathly Hallows is out. Goes to the shop and asks for a copy, is told, "Can't have one, got to level up first, read first 6 chapters of each book twenty times and read thirty unique paragraphs where Hermione is upset about Harry or Ron. Also find and read every sentence with the word Slytherin in it twelve times. Anyone who just reads the previous books twenty times is cheating and measures will be put in place to prevent cheating.

Should fan say, "WTF? Can't I just buy and read it?" other fans accuse fan of character flaw.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread