Last year's interview with Jason Jones is a revelation. (Destiny)

by Postmortem ⌂, AZ, Wednesday, October 08, 2014, 10:34 (3505 days ago) @ Monochron

If it is the former though, I enjoy building my character more than replaying levels at the moment and that's just a difference of preference. Maybe you prefer playing levels and PvP over building a character. If so then I'm sure you would be just as happy playing a game where you were only able to buy one exotic in a month of playing.

I think this is kind of where I'm at, and why I'm a little frustrated with the investment system. I want my character/myself to be presented in the world and to other people the way I want to be perceived. This means that a lot of focus goes into getting the right gear that feels appropriate for my character/me. A lot of this stuff seems like it was made harder to achieve for completely trivial reasons. Frankly, I think all shaders should unlock at level 20.

I dunno, I guess I just miss the Halo 2 days where you pick your colors and make an emblem on the first day, and that's who you are. Nobody has to work to present themselves how they want. You can just "be yourself" from the get go.

Reading this thread is giving me a lot of ideas about what I can do to have more fun with the game and spend less time frustrated by the "grind". So thanks for this discussion, and the ideas. I tried to keep uninvested in the investment system (ha), but it just sucked me in. I think in my perspective, on top of the desire for a more suitable character for myself, they've also just made it distracting. Bright shiny gear, good sound feedback, the sense of mystery when deciding an engram... It all FEELS good. It's like I'm exploring s level, thing are going good until I kill an enemy and OH LOOK HOW SHINY I AM COME GET ME I'LL MAYBE GIVE YOU SWEET STUFF. It's not that it's impossible to ignore or disregard... But it stands out so much from the rest of the experience that it just becomes distracting from everything else you want to do.

I guess I just don't like the fact that I feel like I need to actively try not to be too invested in the loot system. But I'm going to experiment with my gaming habits and see if I can't make it more enjoyable for myself.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread