Last year's interview with Jason Jones is a revelation. (Destiny)

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Wednesday, October 08, 2014, 09:28 (3506 days ago) @ Monochron

How could you have gotten from level 20 to level 26+ without grinding? If you enjoyed Crucible and played it over and over, that is still grinding (the way I define it anyway). Maybe our definitions of grinding differ?

They very much differ. To me it's called having fun playing the game. Grinding has all sorts of negatives attached to it. If all you're doing is playing to have fun then you aren't grinding. From Crucible Rank 2.5 to 3 I did grind just a bit because I wanted one specific Crucible Rank 3 gun. But now that I have my gun I just play because playing itself is fun. Iron Banner? I'm playing it because I wanted to see how more or less unbalanced it was. Not because I want some special shader or whatever.

The best example I have of the way I interact with Destiny's investment system is how I've bought three exotic helmets from Xur. I did it by... doing absolutely nothing special. I played the game the way I wanted, then I threw all my strange coins into the vault and was delighted to see I had, completely unintentionally, collected enough to buy any item he was selling. That's the way Destiny should be played, in my opinion. You should let the investment system delight you, not be a slave to it.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread