Last year's interview with Jason Jones is a revelation. (Destiny)

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Wednesday, October 08, 2014, 09:57 (3506 days ago) @ Monochron

How could you have gotten from level 20 to level 26+ without grinding? If you enjoyed Crucible and played it over and over, that is still grinding (the way I define it anyway). Maybe our definitions of grinding differ?

The difference to me comes down to a simple ideal: repetition. In a traditional RPG when you had to grind you had to literally do the same thing for hours on end to get to the next level. In Destiny, I can choose to play a few strikes, complete the daily story mission, and then jump in the Crucible for the remainder of my time and I will get rewarded in one way or another for my time, whatever I do. In a Final Fantasy game however, if I rushed through the story as quickly as I could without stopping to level throughout I would have to spend hours fighting AI monsters. That's literally the only option. I can't even replay a mission, I just have to get in random battles, preferably in an area with the highest level monsters I can kill to maximize efficiency. That's a big part of the reason I don't play classic RPGs anymore.

You CAN grind in Destiny, but my character is level 29 and I have never once played longer than I wanted to play. That would be almost completely impossible if the game REQUIRED grinding.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread