But what nobody says... (Destiny)

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Wednesday, October 08, 2014, 09:03 (3506 days ago) @ HavokBlue

"Man, I really want to replay that mission on Venus so I can relive the time I defended a door against three waves of enemies"

or

"Gee whiz, I think I'll go play that crazy mission with the computer and the wave defense and the doors on Mars!"

Nobody says this.

They say "Man, I really need ascendant materials, guess I'll go re-do that thing with the door and the waves."

Nobody says those thing because boiling missions of any game down like that is pretty darn dumb. Likewise nobody says about Halo, "I want to replay the mission where I fight through the covenant to get to the objective!" Or maybe you do? Perhaps Halo looks like this to you:

Pillar of Autumn: Run past enemies to objective one, fight through enemies to objective two.
Halo: Fight through enemies to objective one, fight waves, fight to objective two - four fighting waves at each.
Truth and Reconciliation: Fight through enemies to objective one, fight through waves, fight to objective two, fight to objective three.
Silent Cartographer: Fight to objective one, fight to objective two, fight to objective three, fight to objective four.
Assault on the Control Room: Fight to objective one.
343 Guilty Spark: Fight to objective one, fight to objective two.
The Library: Fight to objective one.
Two Betrayals: Fight to objectives one, two, and three.
Keyes: Fight to objective one, fight to objective two.
The Maw: Fight to objective one, fight to objectives two - five, drive to objective six, keep driving to objective seven.

No? That's silly? Stupid? Dishonest? So is the way you strip out the story content of Destiny. Yes, Destiny's story is not as strong as Halo's, but it's not the door defender you make it out to be either.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread