Bad Guy V1 (Gaming)

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Thursday, January 23, 2020, 06:23 (1517 days ago) @ Cody Miller

There will be microtransactions that allow players to customize their grav-cycles

Skip.

Thank you for your valuable and nuanced contribution, here.

I mean, really. It's the finely-tuned knee-jerk reactions that keep me engaged with your posts.

Microtransactions aren't going anywhere. You're just yelling at clouds at this point. The industry is aware of the toxicity of pay-to-win mechanics, and cosmetics that don't alter gameplay are a safe (if unnecessary, immersion-breaking, and annoying) middle-ground to walk while maintaining some sort of revenue stream between content releases. Yes, there are indies that don't engage in such things that are wildly successful. There are AAA publisher-backed titles that don't engage in such things and are still successful. And then there's everyone else that does. Can you really blame the folks behind Disintegration for launching a new IP, with a unique style of gameplay, for including MtX? Seems like what they're attempting is going to be hard enough already.

I get the philosophical arguments. We should all be so privileged to demand such unwavering purity in the content we consume.

But hey, let's trounce the new project developed by people whose work has argued well in favor of us trusting it before it's even out of the crib. Pffft.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread